About Me


I have only recently ventured into the world of kayak fishing and love every second of it. I currently use a Hobie Outback kayak and I have created this blog to share some of my experiences and knowledge.

Monday 13 June 2011

Maroochy River Giant Trevally

The winds were up this morning as predicted so I didn't get offshore today, decided to have a go at cast netting bait from the kayak in the maroochy river. I launched at picnic point and headed for chambers island It took me some time to find some bait fish on the sounder and on my 4th attempt I hauled in a full net of bait fish, a bit bigger in size than I am used to. I trolled a hard body lure and a weighted livey around chambers and hooked up a small gt on the lure, but it unhooked itself next to the kayak before I could net it.

It was then quiet so I headed to the cod hole, nothing there but many boats. Headed back and around chambers Island my livey rod buckled over and took off. It had an unstoppable run so I set the rod down and wound in the other rod. By the time I got back to the rod it had about 150m on me and was still going, at this point I thought it might be a ray but could feel distinct kicks and was confused. I caught up to it after 5 min and got my first glance at a big GT... but it wasn't done yet, another big run and I was getting nervous about my 6lb fc leader holding so I backed off the drag and gave it another 5 min before I got it yakside and netted. It measured in 54cm, not bad for an estuary on 6lb outfit.

IMG_0345.jpg
Giant Trevally 54cm


IMG_0344.jpg
Giant Trevally 54cm


I checked my leader and I was right, nearly worn through and was very lucky to land this fish. I did hesitate in keeping it after it gave me such a valiant fight but as I had caught nothing else I kept it for dinner.

IMG_0337.jpg
Smile for the camera


I threw on another livey and headed for home, I got 500 meters and I noticed some hits on the livey and wound it in, 3 times something had a go. I got the bait fish beside the kayak and found a small and ambitious flathead trying to take a fish half it's size, I let it keep trying beside the kayak and eventually it managed to hook itself.

IMG_0343.jpg
Aggressive little flatty


Released it and headed home. I had stuck a ruler sticker to the paddle but found it really hard to measure and photograph the fish well. I cooked it up for the misses; crumbed with crispy smashed potato and salad. It tasted much nicer than I expected, very nice actually and i'm glad i kept it.


Cheers
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment