About Me


I have only recently ventured into the world of kayak fishing and love every second of it. I currently use a Hobie Outback kayak and I have created this blog to share some of my experiences and knowledge.

Saturday 16 April 2011

DIY Improved Live Bait Tube using PVC pipe

So now I know live bait tubes work for my fishing style (previous post) I go about investing more time into a better solution. I go to Bunnings and pick up a meter of damaged 6cm diameter poly. I had a look at the standard fitting for each of the types of PVC tubing. I ended up getting the 'high pressure' sort that fits rounded caps. The walls are a bit too thick making it a bit heavier but with the streamline caps I think it moves easier through the water. With the 2 rounded caps this set me back $10.

I cut a 50cm length off the undamaged end with a saw and cleaned the edges up with an old file. I then marked out a 15x5cm rectangle on this piece and using the angle grinder cut it out (this could also be done by drilling lots of holes and a small saw). I then cut a 20cm length to act as the cover for the hole that will slide over the main piece. As this bit is the same diameter as the main length I need to widen it to get it on. I make a straight cut lengthways to open it up. I was hoping I could stretch it over the main but but this proved too hard. Poly has a melting point of around 90 degrees I think so I used boiling water slowly poured over it to soften it and slip it into place. It slides on easily, I then continue to pour boiling water on it to get it sliding nice and easy but still firm enough to stay in place. I then drilled holes in the caps and one line running length ways on the main piece.

Happy with the smooth sliding action now I clean up all the edges again with a file to remove any sharp bits. Not happy with the color I foolishly decided to spray it black, this was a mistake as it caused the sliding cover to stick. The paint is scratching off with use and will in time be white again.

 Bait Tube Closed
 Bait Tube Open
Bait Tube with Line of Holes


Verdict is that it works very well, keeps bait fish alive and tracks nicely behind the kayak. At the moment it sinks which is not a big problem but I am thinking it could get snagged in low water, or disturb fish so I might add some buoyancy to it. One one occasion it got wrapped around the mirage drive but making it float prevent this from happening. I also have it trailing behind the yak now to prevent it banging against the side. One thing to note is that you don't want to put one big mullet in there with 20 small herring, the mullet will slide up and down damaging the herring.

No comments:

Post a Comment