About Me


I have only recently ventured into the world of kayak fishing and love every second of it. I currently use a Hobie Outback kayak and I have created this blog to share some of my experiences and knowledge.

Sunday 24 April 2011

Moffat Beach Longtail Tuna

Trip #7

Well the wait is now over, today was the maiden voyage offshore in the outback. Trip #7 for me and a cracker.

I set my alarm last night for 4:15am... well that's what I thought, I actually set it for 5:15am. Fortunately I woke before the alarm and got to Moffats Beach @ 5:30am. I was christened on my beach launch, literally. I got the kayak into the knee deep water fine and waited for a break in the very small waves to paddle out, picked my moment and cleared the waves no problem before I realized that I had forgot to put the rudder down and it was still stuck under the bungee... without really thinking I leaned over to unhook it like I had done times before and before I knew it I was in the drink. Fortunately the hobie outback didn't roll completely and I up righted it easily but everything was wet and I was feeling pretty humiliated in front of the 6 or so other yakers launching. Thank you to the guys who helped me get it back to shore and untangle my lines, thankyou. All I can say is i'm glad I created some makeshift rod leashes last night and they worked.

Second attempt was much smoother and I was out in no time; I nervously put out a 120s Halco Laser on my old el cheapo Shakespeare trolling overhead; an unwanted pressent long ago. I had made the effort to at least use a good 30lb leader on the old mono.

Lucky el cheapo rod.



The lucky lure; 120s Halco Laser Mullet (thanks greg for the good advice)



After about 15min of trolling a bit of a drop off I could see on Navionics on my iPhone I hear the jagged sound of mono and a sticky drag. I can't believe it, i'm on. It was a short and little disappointing run, then a deep dive, I expected much more and actually thought I had a small snapper or something on. It wasn't until it was beside the yak that I realized it was a 95cm tuna (not sure what type, perhaps someone can tell me). I nervously tail grabbed it on the second attempt and in no time it was in the yak.


95cm Tuna at my feet.



When I looked up I had drifted a bit and couldn't see anyone around for a bit, I decided to head a bit closer inshore to Paulsod (might have my names mixed up) and his wife. I noticed he was on to a tuna and tried to get some video of him but was to far way and he released it before I could get closer.

I trolled a bit more and about 15min later I'm on again, this was a much stronger run but the hook pulled after about 5 min. I put the lucky lure back out again and in 15min, on again. We tangoed, the fish had several strong runs and then a deep dive. It pulled me by another yakker who was working soft plastics. He took this short mid fight and was kind enough to send it to me.


Me fighting the tuna

It then made me look like I had 2 left feet, spinning me around and making me work around my other rods in a not so elegant fashion. At one point one of my rods went in the drink and I managed to pull it back up. Then it was a stale mate and I couldn't budge it off the bottom. After awhile I gained some line back and got it yak side; a 100cm tuna!

Arms like lead and pumping full of adrenalin I struggled to get it into the eske behind me, ever so wary of it going overboard. ~25kg of Tuna bagged and my arms like lead I headed home. I paddled through 3 or so bustups on the way back and would have liked to put a lure into it but wasn't greedy and stayed my course.

I received good advice and got off the yak before the waves coming in and swam it in. It was 8:00am and being a public holiday there were many people on the beach. In no time I had a small crowd around me pointing at the 2 tuna hanging out of the eske. Half of me felt like a war hero, returned from battle. The other felt self conscious of being so lucky on my first time and those that helped me out were not. After answering the same questions over and over again, yes they are real; they are tuna; 3km offshore I managed to buckle on of my wheels. Next time ill remember to put them on when it's still in the water and not try to put them on with all that tuna onboard. Loaded up and headed home where I embarked successfully on the messy job of filleting the 2 beasts.

Me and Tuna



Me and Tuna Again



Fiance and Tuna



This is where I went



Measuring them was hard as my ruler only went to 80cm, I had to measure, mark and measure the rest on the table.

Measuring 1



Measuring 2



The big tuna had the last word though and broke my filleting knife.

RIP filleting knife



A big thank you to Greg and all those that helped me out today, you made my maiden offshore trip a blast and it's going to be hard to top... but I will try.

No comments:

Post a Comment