About Me


I have only recently ventured into the world of kayak fishing and love every second of it. I currently use a Hobie Outback kayak and I have created this blog to share some of my experiences and knowledge.

Friday 15 April 2011

Swan Boat Hire on the Maroochy River

Trip #6

Had an RDO Friday and was planning a sleep in but the fishing runs too deep and found myself on the water just after sunrise. I would be launching on the change of tide so I put the Hobie Outback in at swan boat hire so I could follow the tide out. The water was glassy and much clearer so I thought I would finally have a chance to work some surface lures, had a few quick casts before I launched from the bank in some slack water and got a couple of small but spectacular hits. This was promising. I took the opportunity to cast for some livies before I left and got plenty for the bait tube. I would have got no more than 15 meters from the bank with a livey on and my reel went off, fought it for several minutes on the light 6lb gear with some good runs and landed a 55cm flattie without much drama.

I worked around chambers island flicking a jaz zappa orange tiger surface lure against the bank. Towards the east side of the island I got some hits and then bam i'm on. I small 20cm bream. I hung around here for awhile having too much fun with these bream, they would follow my lure right to the yak in schools. I landed and released 4 in all. There were plenty more around but after seeing 4 of their class mates landed they went off the chew. I had gotten distracted doing this and forgot about the livie out the back which had been very quiet, must be time to check it. 2 or 3 winds of the reel and it goes off, 3 or 4 good runs and I started chase, thought it was a trevally as it was fighting near the surface and heavy in the water. Ended up squeezing a 62cm flattie into my undersized landed net. I had a scary moment trying to get him into my small cooler bag (35cm) and he wriggled free of my rag and propelled himself onto the front of the yak, nose over the front but just laying there taunting me. In such a rush, 3 times I tried to get up to grab him but couldn't get off my seat. Eventually I grabbed him again after nearly loosing it overboard.

The 2 flathead caught.

Not much after that, worked the surface lures a bit more, few hits and another small flattie.


Jaz Zappa Orange Tiger


The 2 fish in the cooler bag wern't fitting and I was worried they would get too hot in the sun so only 2hrs in I headed home.

No comments:

Post a Comment