About Me


I have only recently ventured into the world of kayak fishing and love every second of it. I currently use a Hobie Outback kayak and I have created this blog to share some of my experiences and knowledge.

Friday 13 May 2011

Maroochy River Bread and Butter

Trip #9

Well, my RDO came around again, another beautiful Friday, great weather but unfortunately felt like I was coming down with a cold. Decided to have a little drift around the maroochy river.

Launched 10:30am @ Swan Boat hire again, but just after I got the yak off, 15 or so 1st time kayakers returned from a charted outing. They we very nice and answered alot of questions but had a hard time finding a carpark and bait. Managed to get one livey which I hooked up a big fish just out from the moored boats but pulled the hook, prob a flathead.

Pumped some yabbies and didn't get far before I hooked up 4 or so small bream, back in the drink for something bigger.

IMG_0220.jpg
Small grunter on nipper


IMG_0222.jpg
small bream on nipper foul hooked


Found some livies finally and went back to see if the one that got away was still hungry... nope. But got a smaller model nearby, released.

IMG_0224.jpg
small flathead on livey


After fishing the same river 6 or 7 times now I had not tried the cod hole, so I caught a free ride with the tide and trolled the live baits to the cod hole. It was good to test out the fish finder and loving it. Nothing on the way to the cod hole other than a few snags, dislodged and off again.

I found the cod hole, and the 5 other boats on it and worked the hole very thoroughly on the change of low tide while not getting to close to the other vessels. Plenty of small bream and what I suspect were shopping trollies. I found the hole runs under the bridge on the north east side and the edge of this part go me a few big hits on the live fish. First happened when i decided to take a leak, both lines buckle over, lose a big fish on the first, land a small bream on the other. I rig up again for another go but I am bested again, with it getting me on the pylons; too big for my 6lb line to keep it out.

A bit tired of all road noise and dodging boats I head back, trolled a pink tilsan hardbody back, got a bream and legal flathead on the way back, both went back, wanted something bigger.

IMG_0228.jpg
Bream on hardbody


IMG_0232.jpg
Flathead on hardbody


Put my last livies on and went past my launch site for one last effort to get a big fish. Just after the bridge to chambers I get a 48cm sized flathead on the livey, manages to tangle both lines but did a good job to land it, filet it and beer battered fish and chips.

IMG_0235.jpg
48cm flathead


Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment