About Me


I have only recently ventured into the world of kayak fishing and love every second of it. I currently use a Hobie Outback kayak and I have created this blog to share some of my experiences and knowledge.

Saturday 21 May 2011

Dry mount Garmin 300c fish finder install in Hobie Outback

So I purchased the garmin 300c recently and decided to dry mount the transducer. The dry mount method involves gluing your transducer to the inside of the kayak hull. The risk is you get bubbles in it which will create false readings but the benefit is you don't need to worry about creating a watertight container for it and keeping it submerged with water. As there are more dry mount posts than you can poke a stick at out there I have kept this brief and specific where possible to this install.

200mm x 200mm High density foam from Clark Rubber @ $4, cut out a small section to mount the transducer in to ensure a tight fit to the hull and no air bubbles between the hull and tranny. I used Selleys All Clear (thanks for the advice guys) to first glue the foam into place...

IMG_0080.jpg
The high density foam in place.


IMG_0081.jpg
The foam again


then glue the tranny in place.

IMG_0084.jpg
Transducer glued in place


I then mounted the head unit bracket (supplied) onto the kayak, it unfortunately did not fit into the side rail or under the handle which was a pity. I ended up putting it behind the rhs rod holder and happy with it now. Drilling the large hole for the 2 cables was a bit scary and used a rubber bung, gutted and cut down the middle to make the hole waterproof.










I have cleaned this bung up a little since but the same concept.

Here is the battery box, you will notice the fuse is on the outside of the box... not sure if this is a good thing, might have to make a bigger hole, put it in the box.

IMG_0112.jpg
Battery Box.


The mount is a bit exposed and dangerous for moving and also if I flip it in the surf so I cut some of the spare high density foam and make a cover for it.

IMG_0115.jpg
Mount protector


IMG_0116.jpg
Without mount protector


Now I was curious about how the unit would display in full and direct sunlight so I set it to simulation and took some photos, they really do not tell the same picture as it was crystal clear to read in the sun and I can tell you now that you could not wish for more.

IMG_0118.jpg
Garmin 300c sun behind screen

IMG_0119.jpg
Garmin 300c sun infront of screen


So now all I can do is wait, next weekend the glue should have fully cured and it will hopefully not have any air bubbles in it.

UPDATE: It works, and works very well, could not be more happy with the purchase and install. Having a fish finder adds a whole new dimension to fishing and takes a little of the guess work out of it.






Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment