About Me


I have only recently ventured into the world of kayak fishing and love every second of it. I currently use a Hobie Outback kayak and I have created this blog to share some of my experiences and knowledge.

Sunday 22 May 2011

Maroochy River

Trip # 11

I left the kayak on the roof in case forecasts were wrong and we had some good weather, and boy did we, light breeze and sunny skies.
Launched @ swan boat hire around 9:00am. Decided to see which worked better today, my favorite lure - a Tilsan Pink Minnow vs soft plastic - a pink snapback worm. I would slow troll the lure in the holder and add some action to the soft plastic tolling as i held it.

The first fish went to the Lure - a 38cm flathead.
Image

Another on the lure - a small bream.
Image

And again on the lure - a small flathead
Image

Again on the lure - a small flathead
Image

And another on the lure - a small flathead... where are the big ones today?
Image

At this point I bumped into another kayaker who was having his first fish on his brand new viking and looking right at home.

After a quick chat we went for a troll together and shortly after the lure goes off and I land a 46cm flathead; thats a bit better.
Image

At this point it's obvious the lure is much more effective so I get rid of the soft plastic. I was kinda hoping my new friend could get onto his first fish and I could snap a good picture of him losing his virginity. Just as I think that his rod buckles over, drag screaming... must be something big.
Image

It wasn't too long after this shot that we realised it was a snag, to make matters worse the lure could not be retrieved. We re-rig and head off again trolling.

I get another small flathead.
Image

My new friend headed of to take his family for a spin in the yak and I decided to fish some livies back with the current, while I was drifting along re-rigging my livey rod the floating lure takes off, 6lb braid peeling off the spool. After a 5 min fight in the shallow water I land a nice 36cm grunter.
Image

Lost all my livies with no hookups but on the way back to the car I picked up another small flathead on the lure.

All these little flathead around is a great sign and good times to tweak out what works well and what doesn't.

Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment