About Me


I have only recently ventured into the world of kayak fishing and love every second of it. I currently use a Hobie Outback kayak and I have created this blog to share some of my experiences and knowledge.

Saturday 21 May 2011

Mooloolaba Hairtail

Trip #10

Well the plan was to try around point Cartwright for some snapper on soft plastics and troll for long tail tuna, launched at dawn from the Moololaba boat ramp and made my way towards the mouth but was greeted by some big swell and a stiff westerly. I got through some big waves which gave me a rush of adrenaline before my rudder started playing up. Played it safe and paddled it back into the harbor to try and fix it. Couldn't figure out what was happening, tested and was fine in the harbor so I mustered up the courage and had another go. Got through some big swell close to peaking, I thought if I got into some deeper water the swell would drop. It didn't and the westerly had me drifting fast away from land so I played it safe and paddled back to the safety of the harbor.

I trolled my favorite Tilsan pink lure back to the boat ramp hoping for a flathead, I got some weird tap tap hits and then the rod bent over. To my surprise pulled up a 1m long hairtail beside the hobie outback, having no net at the time made landing it hard. Ended up flicking it onto the front hatch of the outback and introducing it to the negotiator (my shortened baseball bat). I have never heard of hairtail being caught on lures, let alone in the daytime catching 2, it was a rare treat and something i'll probably not experience again.

Hairtail.jpg
Hairtail foul hooked on tilsan lure and 6lb fluro!

Sorry bout the photos, the flash and waterproof cast don't work well together.

Trolled the pink Tilsan for a bit more, it got a few knocks and went a bit heavy and thought it must be fouled. Wound it in to find a nice little flathead, being early in the morning I let him go.

Flathead.jpg
Flathead on Tilsan lure

Trolled back over the hairtail spot and got another hairtail this time it nearly had swallowed the lure, trolled over the spot again and lost the lure to one :( i did a few passes back over hopping to find it floating but no such luck. Tried a 3" lime tiger soft plastic and it too found the same fate on my 10lb leader. I changed to 30lb, but then the local land fishers had seen my good fortune and moved in on the spot preventing me from trolling it. No big loss, good luck to them, I had enough fish.

I am marinating the hairtail in soy and ginger now for a fry up a bit later, will be nice to try something new.

Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment