About Me


I have only recently ventured into the world of kayak fishing and love every second of it. I currently use a Hobie Outback kayak and I have created this blog to share some of my experiences and knowledge.

Saturday 21 May 2011

Maroochy River Flathead Fun with Friends

Trip #8

This weekend I had the please of my best man to be coming up to visit for the weekend. He was pretty keen to go for a fish so we hired a 'deluxe' kayak, a very unstable kayak with 1 rod holder. The hire kayak was no Hobie Outback but swan boat hire were great and gave us a very good deal. The plan was to meet our better halves on chambers island and all have a bit of a paddle around and some light fishing.

I cast netted some livies and rigged my mates kayak up for the short trip to Chambers island. I did not put one on as I had gave him my rigged rod and had to rig another. 5 min into the trip and thoroughly enjoying watching him nearly tip over several times his rod buckles over. I had to give him credit, he did a good job fighting what he thought was a snag, then a stingray when it took off but it wasn't until he had it beside the kayak he saw the 63cm fathead. It proved to hard to land it by himself so I netted it for him and then headed to the picnic spot the girls had setup.


210173_10150168784841891_564931890_7185963_7446871_o.jpg
A photo of the catch taken by my mates wife.


Eager to top my mates catch and stop the gloating we headed of again, not long later I'm onto a good fish. It took the livey on my alvey reel on a baitcaster rod. It was a very clumsy effort but managed to get a similar sized flathead beside the kayak before it broke my leader, damn. Fished for another 2 hours without a touch.

To rub salt in the wounds he mentioned it to swan boat hire who asked if they could record and take photos of him for their website, facebook page and channel 7 news on Thursday. I forgot to take my waterproof case for my iphone today, of all days so do not have any photos of us in action.

Being a nice bloke I did filet and cook it up for him, the new cooler bag worked a treat and the beer battered flathead and chips was one of the best.

For desert I had a chocolate donut, very fitting.

Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment