About Me


I have only recently ventured into the world of kayak fishing and love every second of it. I currently use a Hobie Outback kayak and I have created this blog to share some of my experiences and knowledge.

Saturday 28 May 2011

Kings Beach to Bray Rock Snapper

I arrived at Kings Beach, Caloundra at 5:30am in complete darkness and near freezing conditions. I had only worn board shorts and was feeling the cold. The conditions looked perfect for snapper, plenty of chop and the recent cold weather should have them up and feeding. I had a work bbq that afternoon and was hoping to catch a snapper to throw on the grill.

Sunrise peddling to bray rock

I launched the Hobie Outback at around 6:15am with some fellow kayakers that had turned up. I was a bit nervous about my second beach launch; my first beach launch saw me getting wet and humiliated. I was much more prepared this time and stowed my rods in my DIY rod storage setup and DIY rod leashes. I dropped the rudder down, pulled the wheels out, waited for a break in the surf and pulled the kayak out past the breaking waves before getting in and peddling off. Despite getting a little wet from the waves it was a very good launch.

I rigged up and trolled some Halco 150s Laser Pro's to Bray Rock; about 2.5kms. Both my new kayaker friend both reached Bray rock at the same time and both hooked up, I lost mine shortly after after it spat the hook. Where as my friend landed a 63cm snapper. I then trolled the laser pro and a RMG deep diver around this area for an hour or so and produced 3 snapper, the largest coming in 54cm. I tried throwing some 4" plastics around on my light gear but nothing was interested.

47cm Squire

Small Squire released
Fish Kept
I peddled back at 9:30am very happy with my results, especially with these being my first snapper. The surf landing was also good, I played it safe and jumped out before the breaking waves, waiting for a break before pulling the kayak ashore.

Dan

1 comment:

  1. There's also a holster that's intended to fit the OtterBox Defender Holster, which is among the most durable cases on the industry.If you are curious to know more about best kayak fishing gears, Read Me.

    ReplyDelete