About Me


I have only recently ventured into the world of kayak fishing and love every second of it. I currently use a Hobie Outback kayak and I have created this blog to share some of my experiences and knowledge.

Saturday 21 May 2011

Build your own rod storage for surf launches in Hobie Outback

This DIY is about being able to stow my rods in the outback when I do a surf launch. Since completing this project Hobie have come up with their own take on this same issue which is much nicer looking but not so effective in keeping reels out of the sea spray.

I simply attached 2 pieces of pvc to a chopping board, and used a small piece of shock cord to attach it to the front hatch.

IMG_0151.jpg
Rod storage empty.


I then use the rod leashes to hold them in place and tuck the tips into the side of the outback.

IMG_0139.jpg
With rods in


With the fish finder mounted on of the rods sat too close to the mirage drive, so I cut a small grove in the high density foam protector I had over the fish finder mount and run the rod over the foam.

IMG_0141.jpg
With rods in again


If I want to run a third rod I can weave it through the rear well bungees and also strap the tip to the outback using the rod leash.

IMG_0145.jpg
With the 3rd rod in


This does not solve the problem of stopping them from getting wet, I am going to have to craft up some sort of bagging system for the reels yet.

Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment