About Me


I have only recently ventured into the world of kayak fishing and love every second of it. I currently use a Hobie Outback kayak and I have created this blog to share some of my experiences and knowledge.

Saturday 21 May 2011

Make your own rod leashes using shock cord and envirobag handles.

I am not a fan of curly phone cords so opted to create a sheathed bungee leash instead.

I am not really sure why other people 'sheath' their snap straps with a tubing but I would think it is for safety reasons. You want to limit how much stretch can be put on the bungee cord so that in the event of it breaking you do not have a projectile. I have used the handles from my cooler bags to do this and hopefully the breaking strain of these is greater than the 3ml shock cord I have used on the other end.

I also wanted to control at which end the bungee cord would break this event, so I used loops created from lower breaking strain bungee/cord for attaching to the kayak and stainless steel clips on the other end. Hopefully if one of these breaks, the end of the bungee should propel away from me instead of a stainless steel clip coming straight at me... hopefully.

IMG_0178.jpg
Rod leashes.


Making them was simple, ~1 meter of shock cord (I used a variety of 6ml and 3ml). Stainless steel clip on one end and just doubled the shock cord back over itself and used 2 cable ties to fasten it. I then thread ~2 meters of tubing over the shock cord, sew it closed (lots of zig zag sewing to first stop the sheath moving back and then to close the hole. Then a loop of smaller diameter cord or shock cord on the other end attached with zip ties and sewed up.

I attached them to the rods using stainless steel d-rings and small o-rings and a mix of cable ties and double sided velcro.

IMG_0157.jpg
Big rod


IMG_0161.jpg
Small rod

I also made up a number of leashes without any tubing for my accessories. For these I use heat shrink to hide the cable ties and reduce the risk of them getting snagged on anything. This helps to keep them handy and not sliding everywhere inside the hull of the kayak. I try to keep the number of leashes outside the yak to a minimum.

Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment